Student Welfare

What to Bring


You’ll need to bring enough money to pay for your tuition fees, accommodation and general living expenses. To do this, we advise you to bring a banker’s draft with you. You will need to open a UK bank account when you arrive. This can take up to four weeks, so we advise that you bring enough money in traveller’s cheques to use until your account is open. Around £400-£600 should be enough. You should also bring enough cash in pounds sterling to cover the cost of transport to the College and meals for the first few days; around £200 should be enough. We advise not to carry large amounts of money around with you or keep large amounts of cash in your accommodation.


The British climate can be unpredictable and temperatures can vary quite a lot throughout the year. You will need a variety of clothing suitable for all weather conditions, such as a warm coat or jacket that is also waterproof, T-shirts or shirts, jumpers, trousers or jeans, warm socks, strong shoes and an umbrella! You may find it easier to buy suitable clothing when you arrive – Pontypridd and Cardiff both have shops where you can buy clothes suitable for the British climate.

Bedding and household items

Whether you’re going to live in student campus or in private accommodation, you’ll have to supply your own plates, cups, cutlery, duvet, sheets, pillows, and towels… basically everything except furniture. However, bringing all these things with you would make travelling very difficult. Try to bring what you’ll need for the first few nights, and then buy what you need locally.

Personal items

It’s very important to feel at home, so remember to bring a few personal items such as photographs and your favourite CDs with you.

Other useful items

You may want to bring some electrical appliances with you. Voltage in the UK is 240 volts and appliances use a 3-pin plug. If the voltage and plugs are different in your country, we recommend you buy British appliances when you get here. Small appliances, such as hair dryers, are relatively cheap.

Safety precautions

Pack your things in strong suitcases labelled with your name and the name of the college, both inside and out. If you are going into a student campus and you know the address, you should put this address on all your suitcases. Make sure you can carry your luggage for at least half a kilometre. Don’t bring any valuables unless you feel it is absolutely necessary. If you do, you should insure them before departure and keep them safely stored in your hand luggage. Your hand luggage should also contain personal articles for use if your luggage is temporarily lost during your journey. You should keep copies of traveller’s cheques numbers, insurance policy numbers, passport and visa etc. in a separate and safe place in case they are lost or stolen. As an additional precaution, leave copies with family or friends as well.

Checklist of items to carry in your hand luggage

You will need certain documents when you arrive at a UK airport, where you will be interviewed by immigration and health officials. It is important to bring with you:

  • A valid passport and your UK visa in the form of either a sticker in your passport or a biometric identity card (if applicable).
  • An air ticket
  • Vaccination certificates (if required)
  • An X-ray report (if required)
  • Your CAS record from the College
  • Documentary evidence that you have enough money to pay for your tuition fees and living expenses while studying (in the form of recent bank statements)
  • Originals of any degree certificates or technical qualifications
  • Some warm clothing
  • Some British currency
  • Insurance documents
  • A list of what you are carrying in your luggage in case you have to make an insurance claim
  • Any prescribed drugs or medicine you are taking, plus a letter from your doctor explaining what they are
  • Photocopies of your passport details page and your UK visa page (if applicable)

Airport Security

Security at international airports is now very strict and there will be a number of items you won’t be permitted to carry in your hand luggage, such as scissors and knives. Your airline will be able to provide a list of prohibited items. Currently, you are only allowed to take small quantities of liquids in your hand luggage. These liquids must be in individual containers with a maximum capacity of 100 millilitres each. You must pack these containers in one transparent, re-sealable plastic bag of not more than one litre capacity. Again, check with your airline for up-to-date regulations relating to liquids.

London College of Business Sciences is committed to ensuring that the principles mentioned below are met without fail.

Use this list to help you make sure that you are fully prepared to travel to and study in the UK

All employees have to:

  • Pay relevant deposit and receive Confirmation of Acceptance for Study (CAS).
  • Check immigration regulations and ensure that you have or have applied for the correct visa.
  • Contact the College Accommodation Services.
  • Notify the College & your Agent (if relevant) when you receive your visa
  • Take out personal/travel insurance
  • Arrange travel and book any Arrival Services


  • Valid passport (with visa if necessary).
  • 3 x photocopies of your main passport and visa pages.
  • Accommodation contract and/or details.
  • 8 x passport photos for ID cards
  • Bankers draft or other method of paying any outstanding deposit
  • CAS statement/offer letter and original certificates and/or qualifications listed on your CAS.
  • Relevant medical records and details of any existing medical conditions
  • Money for the first few weeks until you can open a bank account. Around £200 in cash for the first few days and approximately €400-€600 in traveller’s cheques or on an internationally valid credit/debit card.

A list of what you are carrying in your luggage in case you have to make an insurance claim

  • Any prescribed drugs or medicine you are taking, plus a letter from your doctor explaining what they are.
  • Photocopies of your passport details page and your UK visa page (if applicable).

Tier 4 Student Responsibilities and College’s reporting Duties

The College’s responsibilities under the Points Based System:

  • Keep copies of passports and Biometric Residence Permits (BRPs) where applicable;
  • Keep contact details up to date (and keep a record of any changes of address);
  • Report to the Home Office when international students holding a Tier 4 Student Visa:
    • Do not enrol within the enrolment period;
    • Enrol but do not attend and miss 10 expected interactions, lectures or classes;
    • Discontinue their studies (including suspensions of study);
    • Make significant changes to their circumstances (such as the successful completion of a course where this is earlier than expected);
    • Break the conditions of their permission to stay e.g. working illegally.

Your responsibilities under the Points Based System:

  • Think ahead and make a note to organize all the documents you need to extend your student visa at least 8 weeks before your current visa expires;
  • Provide the College with a copy of your passport and BRP. If you are issued a new passport or visa you must provide the College with a copy of this;
  • Keep the college up to date with your current contact details;
  • Enrol for your course when you are expected to;
  • Study whilst you are in the UK (ensuring that you have good attendance on your course and no significant gaps or absences);
  • Follow College procedures if you decide to suspend your studies or withdraw from your course;
  • Leave the UK if you suspend your studies or withdraw from your course;
  • Follow Home Office procedures if you transfer course/ institution.

If you have any questions about the College’s reporting duties or your responsibilities under the Points Based System then please contact the International Student Support Service:


The information provided on this page is given in good faith and has been carefully checked with The UK Council for International Student Affairs and the UKVI. However please note that the London College of Business Sciences accepts no legal responsibility for its accuracy. Immigration law is subject to change; please ensure that you have the most up to date information by checking the respective websites.